Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Camping with Dr. Cowboy!

This last weekend we went to our ward camp out. It was really fun! A few of the HIGHlights:
  • the campground was less than 30 minutes away--wa-hoo!
  • I had one of my TOP 10 nights of sleep since moving here (camping--go figure?)
  • we ate YUMMY fajitas with fabulous GUACAMOLE!! (avocados are 2nd to cheese on my list)
  • the mosquitoes are no longer out in droves like they were a month ago
  • S joined a little choir of Primary kids at the fireside and sang "Called to Serve"
  • the outhouse featured TWO "holes" and NO wall to separate them--WHAT!?! (this came in handy when S and a friend both needed a potty break and I was the adult in charge, but come on!!)
The next HIGHlight--my kids being roped by a real Wyoming Cowboy! I seriously think I need lessons--this would come in super handy in public don't you think?

We have been befriended by a great couple in our ward. Dr. Cowboy and his wonderful wife--I still need to think of a good alias for her. He is here doing a fellowship and they have two children so we are able to relate pretty well. They had us over for the 4th of July and while there, Dr. Cowboy was roping the kids. It was HILARIOUS and my kids can't be around him without requesting that he chase them and try to catch them with the rope. Fortunately for us he brought his rope to the camp out and all of the kids had a BLAST! The pictures aren't great, but they capture the FUN!


Lastly, S#1 has a HUGE crush on Dr. Cowboy. I feel bad for the guy, she practically smothers him. This picture actually shows her giving him some space--very unusual.

Thanks Dr. Cowboy for giving our kids such fun memories and for being so kind to them!

p.s. for a COSTCO update--yes it's open and it's FABULOUS! My list was much shorter than what my cart brought home, but I am sO, SO happy! What did I come home with--stay tuned my friends!! I will compose the post of a lifetime (oh, I really am a GEEK!).

11 comments:

*katie said...

I am so excited to read your post of a lieftime:) I go to Costco way too often (usually once a week--the boys stay entertained and can ride in the same cart) and always bring home way too much stuff!

Camping looks like it was loads of fun!

Lisa said...

I must say Wyoming cowboys are the best!

a-hyde said...

I thought about calling you today cause i KNEW you would be at costco!! I just had to tell you that i think Simon looks SO much like JJ in those pics you just posted.

Brooke said...

Your kids look so grown up in these pics - wow! Camping sounds so fun - and especially if you got sleep!

Cailean said...

Hmm....tandem pooping? I think I'll pass! Wow how is Simon looking a million years older since you left! What a fun friend - yeah definitely a good skill to have as a parent! I am dying to hear the Costco list!!! Does your Costco have Izze soda? You must try it!

Ashley K. said...

First of all I love Simon's hair cut. Sooo cute... Secondly, the long horns hat needs to go from Dr. Cowboy...

s g said...

That sounds like a lot of fun...who doesn't love camping? My kids will love it one day and hopefully won't wake up at 5 am when we go as they have in the past.

I love that S #1 is having a crush already...she will be a heartbreaker, just like her mommy!!

I need to head to Costco myself, so glad there is one now close for you!

Abbey said...

So glad you've got some good friends taking care of you there. You deserve great company to be with.

I hear ya about having a Costco. There was a time in my life when I thought I woudn't have a Costco near me...and I almost couldn't bear it. You are a lucky woman to have one.

Katie said...

Sounds like a fun time for all! Believe it or not, I went to a sleep-away camp where we had outhouses with 3 holes. They had names, too: "Tea Pot" and "Flower Pot". We would go in there together all the time and have what we called "Pot parties". I think I might have picked up an inhibition or two since then;).

Traci said...

Seeing you guys camping made me long for our old camping days...we sure miss you guys! Glad you are having fun, though!

LizzyP said...

That's so funny that you bring up S's crush. Today we discovered that J has a huge crush on the primary teacher that sits in the row behind him. This afternoon he wrote her a love letter, and he's been asking me all day to have Sister Carpenter over for dinner.