Friday, February 27, 2009

I am thankful for sour cream

Yesterday morning when I woke up it was a gray, dreary Seattle day. For many months, basically since winter hit around here, I have longed to be in Seattle (a.k.a. my heaven). I've thought the rain and gray skies there wouldn't bug me because I would have more mild temperatures, beautiful green EVERYTHING, mountains, my favorite restaurants, delightful friends, etc. But with yesterday's grayness I had the reminder that the grass is not always greener, that the grayness of Seattle would probably affect my mood despite the surrounding beauty (don't worry, there are some delightful friends here too). I decided I just really needed to be happy where I am--that's the point right?

Several months ago, at a local church meeting, we were encouraged to keep a list of things we were thankful for each day. I have been doing this faithfully and I have been amazed at the blessings that come my way. More importantly, the realizations that I come to regularly because of these simple blessings makes my smile.

A few years ago a church leader, President Henry B. Eyring, also encouraged us to write things down. His approach was to ask: “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” From his talk O Remember, Remember:
My point is to urge you to find ways to recognize and remember God’s kindness. It will build our testimonies. You may not keep a journal. You may not share whatever record you keep with those you love and serve. But you and they will be blessed as you remember what the Lord has done.
I really do believe that we are blessed as we remember the good that is constantly happening in our lives.

Now, with all of this said, I found myself a little frustrated yesterday. Help me come up with reasons to be grateful these things happened:
  1. My kids turned the fridge to "off"--I don't know when. When I reached inside to grab items for breakfast they were luke warm.
  2. When tossing some of the aforementioned luke warm food, I managed to wipe-out on the icy sidewalk--imagine the two containers of sour cream in my hand splatting all over. Oh to be a neighbor watching me. Just FYI--the hose is not hooked up so how does one get sour cream off of a frozen sidewalk?

9 comments:

Katie said...

I am always saying that it's a Seattle day when it's overcast and drizzly here! And I had to laugh out loud when I read what your kids had done because I knew exactly what would follow- that you threw everything away. Did you know that ever since we helped with that funeral together- the one where you insisted that the leftovers be thrown away and not packed up and given to the family because heaven only knew what germs people had spewed into them and then they'd sat at room temperature for who knows how long allowing the germs to multiply- ever since that day I've had trouble eating anything at church potlucks. And about the sour cream- that's another thing I miss about Seattle- the mystery animals that came and ate up every scrap of food overnight!

Ashley K. said...

You are so funny. Thank you for the reminder to be more thankful. I am thankful today beacause it isn't yesterday. Meaning I don't have to get a tooth extracted again!

Cailean said...

Having grown up here, I don't know any different really. And I SO appreciate when it's super sunny, like it was today! Your experience with the sour cream would have completely grossed me out so I guess you can be grateful it didn't splatter into your mouth. And how to get rid of it on your sidewalk? Add some salsa and guacamole and have a fiesta!

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

hey andrea!! thanks for all of your awesome words on my blog, they mean so much to me. and let me say i just love checking to read your thoughs and insights. i used to write down 5 things i am grateful for each day, and have not done so in MONTHS, this has encouraged me to get back on it!! it is amazing the to notice the small things that we normally over look :)!! thank you for this!

*katie said...

I've been dedicated at keeping a journal ever since Pres. Eyring's talk, but I have realized I don't make a list of things I am grateful for, I think it comes through in what I write, but I'm going to start making a list too. So sorry about your day! I hope you were able to find something good with the scenarios you gave!!

Kaeli & Kyle said...

I love your insight! I know I've said that before. I tried starting a "Gratitude Journal" such as the one Pres. Eiring spoke about, and it faded out. I even had a specific journal to write them in for us both. so once again you are an example and I commend you for being faithful at writing daily what you are thankful for! I admire you so much, for so many things!
Im sorry that you had to throw all your food away! What hastle!
Love ya!

Brooke said...

Oh, MAE!!! I am soooo sorry for your yucky day. And yet you provide such a fabulous post here - that is so you!!

Your kids are hilarious! HOW did they figure out how to turn the fridge off!? Maybe you could squirt the sour cream off the ground with contact solution :) he he! Love ya!

s g said...

Oh miss Dairy queen...so sorry about the sour cream, that is too funny, and totally something that would happen to me.

I used to be so good at the gratitude journal thing, even before the talk from Pres. Eyring, I need to be better for sure, thanks for the reminder.

WendyJ said...

Hi Andrea, I moved into 7th ward right as you were leaving.

Thanks for the insights. I have yet to love Seattle, but then the sun came out today and I read this post and it gave me a different perspective. Thanks!