Friday, May 1, 2009

Getting my ducks in a row


Photo from castillion.deviantart.com

I was recently sent an email of all sorts of funny and clever pictures of animals. Sydney loved looking at it and laughing. When I got to this picture, she wasn't super interested, but it totally hit home for me. I feel like my daily quest is to get my "ducks in a row." Sometimes that means my kids, sometimes that means my house, sometimes it's our finances, sometimes it's my cooking, sometimes my fitness, and sometimes it's my spirituality.

I've never been really good at prioritizing. I can do things that are important . . . I do them everyday. But I tend to be a very reactionary person. This system works to a certain degree, but it's not completely functional.

As one who struggles with confidence I have made a very conscious effort the last several months to focus on letting my confidence wax strong in the presence of God (D&C 121:45). In this scripture and the one following it we are encouraged and given promises.
45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.
46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth . . .

Although my efforts have not been perfect, they have been good, and I have been incredibly blessed! The Holy Ghost has been my constant companion, my confidence has been strong, my testimony has grown and my desire to live, parent and love righteously has increased.

May you know, that I know, that getting your spiritual ducks in a row is worth the reward.

18 comments:

s g said...

I am definitely needing to get my spiritual ducks in a row...as my patience is being seriously tried at the end of this pregnancy with the kids, thanks for the great reminder, and I am glad you have been able to see the fruits of your labors :)

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

that is so awesome andrea!! thanks for sharing this :)!!

Traci said...

Andrea, thanks for your beautiful posts. They are inspiring! I hope all is well for you guys!

Heather said...

all I can say is AMEN!! funny thing I have been thinking a lot about the same things lately. Thanks for putting a "term" and an image to the scattered thoughts running through my mind.

Mandi said...

Thank you, Andrea! I always love hearing your insights into life and the gospel.

Bittles said...

Thanks Mae, I really needed to hear (read) that. Love ya!

Cailean said...

Now I know I don't have to go to Women's Conference - I can just read your blog. SERIOUSLY! This was so enlightening, inspiring, and comforting all at once. THANK YOU!!!

Brooke said...

You know I needed this, thank you!!

Ashley Kearns said...

You are inspired my dear! I love you so much and love the example you have always been to me.

Loves,
Ash

Katie said...

I love this- sometimes a little voice tries to tell me that it's not possible to ever have my ducks in a row, but this, and a talk I read this morning remind me that it is, and that it's worth it!

cherlyn and family said...

When I think of ducks or chickens I think of 3 Nephi somewhere I can't remember where but It talks about the mother hen having your little ones near her. That reminds me of Christ who wants us to be near to him.

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

thanks andrea for you so sweet comments. hey i need your physical address. i want to send you something :). if you can email it to me a shannonmorgan43@hotmail.com!!

*katie said...

Happy b-day Mae! Hope it was great!!

Kaeli & Kyle said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDREA! I though of you all day. I hope you had a good one!
Love ya!

gardening said...

andrea,
Time for a new post!! I look every evening..and nothing!!! You havent been busy at all the last couple of months have you??
Hope all is well.
Love ya
Kellie

gardening said...

andrea,
Time for a new post!! I look every evening..and nothing!!! You havent been busy at all the last couple of months have you??
Hope all is well.
Love ya
Kellie

Sara said...

Andrea,
It looks like this post is old but I loved reading it. Thanks for sharing--a good reminder in the midst of the whirlwind days of kids, summer, and running here and there. It's amazing how God can help us with whatever it is we need.

Sara said...

Sara Roberts, by the way :)