Sunday, August 9, 2009

What Good Luck--What Bad Luck

As a kid my mom had this story she'd tell. It was some stick person (a good one, she doodles quite well) who experienced all different things. The good (what good luck) mixed in with the bad (what bad luck).

Unfortunately I do not recall why she told this story then, but as an adult I have come to understand the What Good Luck--What Bad Luck experiences in life as opposition. We come to know the good because we've experienced the bad, less desirable, or uncomfortable. There's a scripture in the Book of Mormon (2 Nephi 2:11), that states:
For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, . . . righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad.
My life has been filled with various moments of opposition, which have given me the ability to appreciate and enjoy the final outcome or at least the earthly one. Don't worry, I'm not going to go into detail about my life's struggles.

Instead, enjoy a few of our What Good Luck--What Bad Luck moments that have shaped our last few years, months or days:

What Good Luck--we FINALLY finished training!
What Bad Luck--we had to leave
good friends, my favorite GYM ever, yummy food, fireflies, and the BEST schedule ever behind.

What Good Luck--we have a new house and lots more space!
What Bad Luck--I have more to clean (smile).

What Good Luck--we live close to good friends and family!
What Bad Luck--we're not sure how to juggle it all!

Grandkids the family reunion--missing a few

What Good Luck--S#1 finished preschool.
What Bad Luck--now she's really BIG and moves on to Kindergarten.

High-five for the five-year old graduate

What Good Luck--we have a fun local Farmer's Market.
What Bad Luck--the road we take into downtown has been CLOSED and the commute has become looooooooong!

Yummy donuts at the market

What Good Luck--S#2 has become more comfortable in the swimming pool.
What Bad Luck--he STILL doesn't want to immerse his head (Jackson help us!).

What Good Luck--We finally get to add another child to our family
What Bad Luck--we will have THREE children's birthdays in January!

I realize I started this on a more serious note--there was a purpose for that. Life changes, we have to stretch and hopefully we learn. The things we experience, BIG and small, good and bad, really do shape us. I feel so blessed and to be perfectly honest, I feel bad for even writing "What Bad Luck."

Yeah, I know, none of it is really bad!

19 comments:

Church Fam said...

congrats on a new baby coming. Are they really all January? What a month. Hope you guys are doing well.

Momma J said...

Welcome back! Congrats on #3 we are so excited for you! January is a popular month for birthdays in our family too. We hope all goes well!

s g said...

you are such good peeps, I don't think your luck will ever run out :)

and FYI the most fabulous people are born the month of January ;) if you didn't know that already.

great to catch up the other day!!

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

oh andrea congrats to you all!! that is so exciting!!! wish we were closer and could see all that good luck first hand :)!! we will admire from afar!!

KamilahNYC said...

Hey Andrea - Congrats on the new little one! Very exciting. How will you do it with 3?!? So great.

Jason and Kate said...

Congrats on the new baby! That is awesome. Your January is like the Church Family September (except for me). At least you can have one big birthday party!

Cailean said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What a great announcement to read. You will do AWESOME. Going from 2 to 3 was the easiest of the transitions for us. I hope you're feeling well! I think "bad luck" is simply "really tough blessings." :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I've been thinking of you guys often as we start this last year of "fun"! I've been hoping for some light at the end of this currently dark tunnel (not too dark, but harder than the rest of res. has been).

Unknown said...

Sorry, I didn't quite finish my thought...distractions...

Thanks for the light. You guys are great and we can't wait to hear all about the adventures this new season brings you...I just realized the Collings have 3 January babies and I think a January wedding anniversary.

Traci

Anna said...

I agree with sg, the most fabulous people are born in the month of January! Congratulations! Another member added to to Drew's Crew, I am so excited for you!

Ashley K. said...

I loved this post... as usual. You will be amazing, I can't wait to meet #tres, and I can't wait to go to the ultrasound. I just might make a deal with the Doc, so watch out!

Loves,
Smash

Kaeli & Kyle said...

Your posts are always fun to read. It was fun to see you last month- hopefully again soon. More juggling :)

Emily said...

Congratulations, Andrea!! I'm so very happy for you all. January will be quite the month!

Mona said...

We miss you and are glad that you are back to blogging!

*katie said...

So many fun happenings! Congrats on baby #3!! January seems to be a popular month...my boys are the 29th:)

Jenni said...

Yeah!! All fun "good luck" things but especially a new little hill! can't wait!

Brooke said...

Darling post. I thought after talking to you today, "I bet she has posted on her blog and I haven't checked ANY blog for weeks!" I love it, and I am SO happy for you and love that you are such a great example to me in dealing with the opposition that will always be a part of life. Thanks, friend!!

Nathan and Raya said...

congratulations!!!!

Katie said...

Okay, I missed this post and was so confused when I read the one after it! I finally just figured it out- congratulations!! What a lucky baby that will be. I do feel for you on the January babies though- I can see how that would be really draining, just after the holidays. At least you can buy presents on sale right?:)